Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cupcakes

On  Tuesday we celebrated the first birthday of the year at Good Neighbor.  I made cupcakes, 48 cupcakes.  As I was baking, and mixing, and frosting, and sprinkling, I also had the first bit of alone time I've had in quite a while.  I turned on the music, and let my mind wander.  My Momma heart was thrilled I could make cakes for a child's birthday.  To fill in a spot for a day, for a child without a momma.  It also hurt, hurt for this child without a mom, and for the other children we serve without a mom.  In our family, as in most families, a birthday is a day of celebration.  A day of making someone feel special.  An affirmation that we are glad they were born this day, that they entered the world with a purpose.  It is just cake, one might argue.  But if a child does not receive cake, or the affirmation that they were indeed born with a purpose, that they were no mistake, that there is a family who is glad they were born all those years ago, will they know they are valued?  The day to day, I Love You's that my children receive, they know.  If a child does not receive those daily I Love You's, will they know they are loved?  
That is my goal.  With the daily I Love You's, and with a simple act of making cupcakes, I want to speak into each life and affirm, you are valued and you were born with a purpose from God.  

The two birthdays that we celebrate this week are for children who are in the process of being adopted, and next year on this day, they will have a momma and a daddy, and extended family.  They will be home.  But for the others, we will continue to love and speak truth to them.  

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Don't be shy, leave a comment!