Monday, January 25, 2010

Easy ABC Art

I am so excited to be in the midst of making over Sweetpea's room. She just got her first big girl bed and it has inspired me to complete projects I have had on my "craft to-do" list for months (years?). The first is a quilt. I have purchased the most spectacularly adorable Amy Butler fabric, but have yet to actually start cutting. The second project is this super easy ABC Art for her wall. I was inspired by a similar project I saw in a scrapbook magazine a few years ago. The whole project cost me about $10.00 and I just love it, and more importantly, Sweetpea does too!

First, I gathered my supplies.
* a canvas, any size (I had this humongo one hanging around the house from a failed "fine art" attempt I made a few years ago, then spent some time in our family room covered in some cool fabric from Ikea, now on to it's new life as ABC Art...)
* Chipboard ABC's
* patterned paper of your choice
* pictures, trinkets, stickers, etc. for your ABC pictures

How To:

1) Paint the canvas (I used a bright pink acrylic)

2) Spray paint the chipboard letters (I used a turquoise blue, then distressed the edges with some sandpaper)
3) Cut 54 squares or rectangles in your choice of paper (a mix of stripes, polka dots, and flowers are my favorite combo)
4) Gather trinkets to pictorially represent each letter (some of my favorites are the owl sticker for "o", the picture of my girl for "m", an old key from my Grandma for "k", a zebra print ruffle for "z") If Sweetpea were older, I might have had her illustrate some of the items, kid art is so awesome and would really become a keepsake. This is the fun part!5) Arrange the letters and pictures and modge podge those suckers to the canvas

6) Done! A totally cool and unique to your family piece of kid room art!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Don't be shy, leave a comment!