This was such a fun project! I purchased Sweetpea's purple shirt on clearance at Target for $1.50, Buddy Boy's navy blue on clearance at Target for $2.00, and his gray one at the dollar store.
In the tutorial that I read, it had a disclaimer: "This requires very attentive adult supervision and responsible kids that are obedient and good listeners". And let's be honest... my little darlings didn't get the nickname "The Crazies" by accident. I had visions of The Crazies going squirt crazy on me, with bleach... the nightmare ending with a visit to the E.R. because of bleach in the eyes. But alas, they were very obedient, no one ended up maimed, and they loved their new t-shirts!
I was so inspired, that I finally tackled a task that has been on my to-do list for a year: tags for the toy bins! I used all scraps that I already owned, a turquoise blue linen leftover from a project my grandma made. After cleaning out the toy room, I divided the goods into new categories and made a tag for each bin. I used quite a hodgepodge of alphabet stickers, that incidentally made a cool ransom-note-ish effect, then sprayed with bleach. I sewed each piece onto a felt rectangle, and finally attached snaps to both the tag and the buckets. The tags are now interchangeable, and cost merely $5.00 each, the cost of the toy cubes at Ikea.