Sunday, August 1, 2010

Custom Bleach T-Shirts

Despite the horrid temperatures outside, we ventured to the patio to create our own custom bleach t-shirts. We were hot, sticky, and smelly by the time we were done, even though we were outside for a mere 15 minutes. So, enjoy our finished product, but go here for a beautiful picture tutorial on how to make your own. We altered the instructions a bit for our own purposes, choosing some clip art over initials, and I used contact paper instead of freezer paper.

This was such a fun project! I purchased Sweetpea's purple shirt on clearance at Target for $1.50, Buddy Boy's navy blue on clearance at Target for $2.00, and his gray one at the dollar store.


In the tutorial that I read, it had a disclaimer: "This requires very attentive adult supervision and responsible kids that are obedient and good listeners". And let's be honest... my little darlings didn't get the nickname "The Crazies" by accident. I had visions of The Crazies going squirt crazy on me, with bleach... the nightmare ending with a visit to the E.R. because of bleach in the eyes. But alas, they were very obedient, no one ended up maimed, and they loved their new t-shirts!


I was so inspired, that I finally tackled a task that has been on my to-do list for a year: tags for the toy bins! I used all scraps that I already owned, a turquoise blue linen leftover from a project my grandma made. After cleaning out the toy room, I divided the goods into new categories and made a tag for each bin. I used quite a hodgepodge of alphabet stickers, that incidentally made a cool ransom-note-ish effect, then sprayed with bleach. I sewed each piece onto a felt rectangle, and finally attached snaps to both the tag and the buckets. The tags are now interchangeable, and cost merely $5.00 each, the cost of the toy cubes at Ikea.

post signature

3 comments:

Galit said...

This is an awesome idea!
I will try it on couple of old Tees that I love but lost their color.
Thanks for sharing!

Moonangelnay on Etsy said...

i just checked out that tutorial and its so cool! your tshirts look awesome, ill have to give this a go with my son!

Deb Stgo said...

i tried the bleach too once! i love the effect it does.. great designs!...*

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Don't be shy, leave a comment!