Tuesday, June 7, 2011

World Record, maybe

The success of Krulls' Organic Farm was mediocre at best.  We had some modest success with carrots and broccoli, but that is about it.  I wish we could grow a whole field full of broccoli.  The family actually fought over it.  Fresh broccoli is probably my most favorite healthy food ever.  It was totally dee-lish.  

Yesterday, our friend brought us this record setter from their garden.  This freak of nature is a zucchini, and the biggest one I've seen, ever.  This city girl is totally impressed.  I remember as a kid seeing those strangely shaped pumpkins, as big as a small car, with the proud farmer posing next to it at some midwestern county fair on the news.  It just seemed absurd, like they were using some sort of magic vegetable steroid growth serum.  I didn't know it could actually happen in nature.  I can't wait to eat this baby tonight.



My favorite way to prepare zucchini is to chop it up into bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil, thyme, and a little sea salt and pepper, and some thin slices of a Vidalia onion, then bake at 425 for about 12-15 minutes.  So so tasty.  I've been known to make a meal of it.  Happy harvesting :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Don't be shy, leave a comment!